The Computer Science Networking Option allows students to focus on the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities identified and recommended by the computer network industry. The program will prepare students for the networking field, specifically focusing on certification as a Network Administrator. It is highly recommended that students consult with the Computer Science program coordinator for specific advising.
Network Administrator Path
This path takes you through the lower levels of networking mainly working with network devices such as switches, routers, server/client computers, server/client operating systems, printers, KVM switches, wireless devices, data backup devices, power backup devices, wire racks, patch panels, wall plates and network wiring. Students completing this path can earn a Gateway Community College certificate as well as be eligible to apply for the CompTIA Network+ certificate.
Upon the successful completion of all program requirements and the path chosen, graduates should be able to:
- Install, manage and troubleshoot Client and Server software
- Organize and maintain Windows 2000 Servers and Netware Servers
- Set up and manage user accounts
- Install, configure, and maintain directory services and network printers
- Backup and restore data
- Install and access remote connectivity.